Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. We need to add outstanding Engineers and Scientists to our team to help us achieve it.
About the Job:
We are currently seeking a hands on experimentalist with an aptitude for working with precision electro/mechanical/pneumatic systems to join Owlstone’s multi-disciplinary technology development team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with the engineering team to design and plan experiments.
- Running experiments to evaluate system performance.
- Running experiments to investigate the performance of system level elements (pumps, valves, power supplies etc.)
- Writing up and reporting test results and conclusions.
- Assembling and qualifying prototype gas sensing systems.
- Fault finding and conducting failure analysis.
The individual has to be bright and focused with a structured approach to problem solving and keen attention to detail with the following attributes:
- A degree in a physical science or engineering.
- Experience of designing and running experiments.
- The ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team.
The following skills will be beneficial:
- Experience of test methods and equipment for electrical testing. i.e. Soldering, multimeters, oscilloscopes…
- Experience of test methods and equipment for pneumatic testing. i.e. Pressure systems, flow meters, manometers, leak testing…
- Experience of assembling/disassembling electro/mechanical systems. This could be through direct experience or through a hobby such as model-making, building PCs, fixing electrical gadgets etc.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath – some are telltale markers of disease, which our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage it drops to about 5% – unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to .