Do you have experience leading design teams and defining technical solutions for complex problems? Are you inspired by a variety of design challenges and fast-paced, multidisciplinary product development? If so then come and join our talented electro-mechanical engineers in the Instrumentation Technology Group and enjoy the benefits of working in a world class engineering consultancy on a variety of medical devices.
To provide a significant contribution to major fast track medical technology development projects. The position will require you to apply your mechatronics or robotics engineering abilities to the development of world-leading medical products for our clients around the globe. You will both lead and work within multi-disciplinary teams of highly talented people to develop novel solutions to complex technical problems.
Type of Work
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept to manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The Division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
- Drug Delivery, including break through inhalation and injection devices
- Wireless devices / eHealth development of innovative connected solutions for devices located both outside and inside the body with the use of novel antenna design
- Surgical and Interventional Products covering sophisticated surgical tool and implantable devices
- Medical Diagnostics and Instrumentation ranging from over the counter personal diagnostics e.g. digital pregnancy test through to instrumentation for use in hospital laboratories
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
As a lead engineer in the Instrumentation Technology Group, you will be involved in the hands-on product development and design of complex electro-mechanical systems. You will contribute to multi-disciplinary projects in teams of engineers, consultants and designers in any of the Division’s focus areas. On projects you will be the technical leader for the mechatronics design effort meeting requirements and providing creative solutions to problems. You may also take a project management role leading the team to deliver the whole programme.
You will have commercial experience and awareness and, with regard to technical issues, will collaborate with both clients and other engineers on projects. Your role will include using strong technical expertise to liaise with clients to understand their needs and prepare proposals which capture these requirements.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be a talented, creative engineer, with the ability to solve complex electro-mechanical system problems and design ingenious solutions. You will have a high level of practical experience with proven technical skills and significant relevant experience in an engineering design environment preferably applying a systems engineering approach to development. Applicants should have the following:
- An excellent first degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics or a related discipline.
- Significant experience in the design of electro-mechanical systems including several of the following:
- Drive systems, Motors and Gearing, Robots
- Sample and Bulk fluids handling
- Measurement and Control Systems, Automation
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing techniques and assembly processes
- Hands-on experience of 3D CAD (ProEngineer or Solidworks preferred)
- A genuine passion for engineering
In addition one or more of the following would be beneficial:
- Excellent understanding of materials selection
- Experience of designing for the Medical Industry
- Team leadership or project management experience
- Postgraduate study in a relevant field
- Practical Regulatory knowledge (QSR/ ISO13485)
We are interested to hear how your skills and experience can help us to resolve the challenges faced during the development of complex instruments and electro-mechanical medical products.
You will be a bright, enthusiastic team player. Good communication skills are essential as a major part of your role will be interacting with clients and multi-disciplinary project teams made up of scientists, engineers and designers.