We are looking for a passionate and creative software engineer with experience of successfully delivering embedded software to join our rapidly growing team.
From wearable devices to novel robotics, you’ll be working with other highly talented engineers on innovative multidisciplinary projects that solve interesting and challenging problems for clients.
You will be looking to continue to use and expand your technical skills in a role with significant client exposure and opportunity for growth.
Main purpose of the job
You will be working on a variety of bespoke embedded systems for our clients using a broad range of technologies. You will apply your software engineering skills to the entire product development lifecycle from understanding client requirements and defining software architectures through to implementation, test and handover. You will work closely with electronics engineers, algorithm designers and physicists to create software for a wide variety of technically challenging products.
You will also have the opportunity to contribute to internally-funded investment projects – these allow us to explore interesting technologies (such as Rust) and demonstrate our credibility in new market areas.
Cambridge Consultants is enjoying rapid global growth. You will enjoy project variety, direct client contact and ownership of exciting technical problems. An ability to learn and a determination to take on more responsibility are as important as the knowledge you already have.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology, design and consulting projects every year. The ICE Division focusses on four markets:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
- Defence – secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
Engineers, scientists and designers work on client assignments in multidisciplinary project teams, sometimes on more than one project concurrently and in different team roles. High quality work is essential from every team member, as is a strong desire to learn to develop and implement solutions with different technologies and for different target markets. It is anticipated that you will:
- Contribute to the full software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, architecture, design, implementation, and verification
- Use your strong analytical skills to understand client requirements and drivers, and foresee technical challenges
- Work closely with engineers from other disciplines to define technical approaches and contribute to cross-disciplinary technical reviews
- Play a role in the on-going improvement of our company’s technical offerings by learning new skills and tools
- Providing mentoring and technical reviewing for junior engineers
To meet the requirements of this role you will have:
- A good degree in Electronics or Computer Science
- Good understanding of embedded software
- Experience of writing embedded software in C
- Understanding of real-time operating systems
- Experience of using Python to get things done
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Configuring and using embedded Linux
- Use of C++ in embedded systems
- Board level circuit design
- Analogue and digital electronics
- Experience in development for mobile computing platforms (Android and iOS)
- Knowledge of communication standards such as Bluetooth
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.