Are you a talented design engineer who wants to be able to develop some of the most novel and complex medical devices for a range of clients, whilst propelling your career with your enthusiasm and ability? If the answer is yes, then read on…
Do you enjoy solving complex mechanical and design problems with your excellent engineering skills? Do you want to join a supportive and driven group where you can take on real responsibility
Main purpose of the job
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer who will take a key role in the design and development of medical technologies across our core focus areas. You will use your mechanical design engineering abilities, your competency in 3D modelling and problem solving skills to develop products for our clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced engineer with the ambition and ability to achieve excellent results in a highly demanding industry. You will be able to find novel and innovative solutions to new and existing problems under tough commercial, regulatory and time constraints.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept to manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The Division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
- Drug Delivery Devices
- Wireless devices / eHealth
- Surgical and Interventional Products
- Medical Diagnostics and InstrumentationWe combine highly creative, lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments – from concept to market – to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.The Functional Design Group operates within this division and provides a diverse range of mechanical engineering and design engineering skills to a variety of projects, solving complex problems from initial concept generation all the way to transfer-to-manufacture and production of parts.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and defining solutions to complex design and mechanical engineering problems, often within a larger system and with a wider team.
You will be required to apply your passion for engineering and design to various stages of the development process, from concept generation, through feasibility and into production and manufacturing. You will have strong communication skills which will allow you to convey your work to your project teams and clients.
Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Identification of product requirements and compilation into specifications
- Creation and definition of technical solutions for product or system developments
- Working with multidisciplinary teams to create novel and innovative solutions
- Guiding and leading other engineers to support your technical solutions
- Generation of concepts and layouts of robust systems; based on engineering principles and realised in 3D CAD
- Detailed design of components and products in 3D CAD
- Tolerance analysis of system designs
- Application of appropriate methods to reduce risks in a design
- Production of detailed drawings and manufacturing specifications
- Transfer of designs to manufacture through liaison with external suppliers
- Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation (requirement specifications for example)
- Presentation of findings and information to internal and external teams
- An excellent degree in mechanical engineering, design engineering or product design engineering (2:1 or above)
- Solid understanding of engineering principles
- A thorough understanding of DfM / DfA techniques
- Knowledge of manufacturing and assembly processes for high and low volume production
- Proven experience in the detailed design and development of products
- Significant experience using 3D CAD, ideally SolidWorks or ProEngineer / Creo
- Use of Microsoft Office
- Effective and impressive presentation and communication skills
- Competence in technical documentation
- Experience of planning, monitoring, controlling and delegating work
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.