Do you enjoy designing innovative products and solving complex technical problems, from early concept creation to manufacturing and testing? Are you able to lead a team to work with you and to deliver technical solutions? If the answer is yes, then this could be the opportunity for you.
Main purpose of the job
We are looking for a pro-active, creative and highly skilled Principal Mechanical Engineer who will take a leading role to design various medical device products, across drug delivery, surgical and diagnostics developments. Reporting to the Functional Design Group Leader, the engineer will provide exceptional mechanical design solutions to development programmes, often working closely with other disciplines such as hardware and software to create truly multi-disciplinary products.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept to manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The Division’s activities fall into four focus areas:
- Drug Delivery Devices
- Wireless devices / eHealth
- Surgical and Interventional Products
- Medical Diagnostics and InstrumentationWe combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.The Functional Design Group provides realistic and ingenious solutions to complex mechanical problems, from initial concept generation, through to production and manufacturing. The group works closely with other disciplines, especially Industrial Design, Human Factors and Electronics to create truly functional designs which have the user in mind.
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will take leading technical roles on projects, driving the progression of the task in line with timescales and budgets, and working with the rest of the team to achieve the goals.You will be required to apply your design and engineering knowledge at all stages of the development process, from initial concept creation, through feasibility testing and into production and manufacturing. Your strong technical and design skills will allow you to make significant contributions to a range of projects at a variety of different development stages. You will have commercial experience and understand how this influences and affects your design, and how your design impacts commercial requirements.
Your specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Taking ownership of technical tasks; leading engineers and the team around you to develop robust technical solutions
- Using solid engineering principles and calculations to analyse and prove designs
- Providing input to project managers for planning tasks and work programmes
- Maintaining progress against timescales and with awareness of budget
- Creation of innovative concepts and ideas, and visualising these through sketching and 3D modelling
- Generation of high quality, detailed mechanisms and layouts of complex systems and assemblies in 3D CAD, suitable for injection moulding / manufacture
- Working with electronics engineers to integrate electronic components into the mechanical design
- Transferring designs to manufacturers through liaison with and management of external suppliers
- Production of detailed drawings and manufacturing specifications
- Identification of technical risks and methods to mitigate these
- Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation, such as requirements specifications
- Presentation of work to internal and external teams
- Occasional travel to meet 3rd parties (clients or suppliers / manufacturers)
To meet the demanding requirements of this Principal Mechanical Engineer role you will be a talented, creative mechanical engineer, with the ability to solve complex mechanical system problems and design ingenious mechanisms.
You will have significant experience working in an engineering design environment. Experience in a consultancy would be advantageous but is not essential.
You will have a creative and methodical approach to problem solving, whilst ensuring adherence to design processes.
Knowledge of manufacture and assembly processes from one off designs to high volume manufacture is required, with experience in plastic injection moulding being particularly desirable. Significant experience in 3D CAD, preferably ProEngineer / Creo and SolidWorks is also required.
You will have an excellent degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design Engineering, Mechanical Design Engineering or a related engineering discipline.
We are interested to hear how your skills and experience can help to resolve the challenges faced during the development of complex medical devices. Medical device industry experience would be advantageous, but not essential.
You will be a bright, enthusiastic team player. Good communication skills are essential as a major part of your role will be interacting with multi-disciplinary project teams and clients.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.