Are you an experienced press relations manager, looking to take your career to the next level? Would you like to be the voice of one of the most prominent and successful technology consultancies in the world-renowned Cambridge hi-tech cluster? We are looking for a talented Press Relations Manager to communicate our story to our global markets. This is a rare opportunity to with an accomplished team of marketing professionals, embracing the latest marketing techniques, to achieve these goals.
Main purpose of the job
Your main responsibility will be to raise the company’s profile in the minds of our global audience to help drive our business growth and recruitment. You will work in close collaboration with our operating divisions to develop our marketing messages and, using the latest marketing techniques, proactively drive these messages, at both a corporate and campaign level, into our key markets using a range of communication tools. In addition, you will manage our relationships with our three PR agencies based in Europe, USA and Asia.
Type of work undertaken by the company
Cambridge Consultants is a leading professional services company in the Cambridge hi-tech cluster and a Sunday Times Top 100 employer. We operate globally, with particular focus in Europe, America and Asia.
We specialise in helping our clients achieve the seemingly impossible, through the development of breakthrough technology-based products and services. With a 56-year track record of world firsts, we tackle the most world’s most difficult problems – from the world’s most advanced grocery fulfilment system, through mission-critical global satellite communications systems, to ultra-miniature medical implants. The skills and experience of our 700 designers, engineers, scientists and mathematicians combine to create a melting pot of innovation, which creates a remarkably stimulating and diverse source of content for external marketing.
The marketing communications team is responsible for creating and communicating the overall image of the company, as well as its constituent business areas. The team has expertise in areas including brand, internal and external communications, events, design and digital communications.
You will be responsible for driving the strategy and direction of our external press relations. Working with our executive board and operating divisions that contribute content, you will direct the messaging of this content to our markets, at the company and sub-sector levels. As a premium consultancy looking to undertake breakthrough projects, it is important that our marketing only attracts the small segment of potential customers that have this level of ambition. Specific responsibilities will include:
- The development and delivery of a balanced external communications plan
- The design, production, and execution of press releases, articles and other media broadcasts
- Liaison and relationship with our PR companies in Europe, USA and Asia to ensure that we get best value for money from these valuable resources
- Developing innovative approaches to the press relations function to ensure we maintain our leading position with market-voice
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key journalists in both the national and trade press
- The styling, development and production of our bi-annual publication – Interface
- Writing & editing material for our website, as well as using it as a tool for the broadcast of PR material
- Developing relationships across all of our market teams to help our divisional marketing managers, technologists and market experts uncover potential stories
- Supporting the executive board with internal and external communications
- Managing adherence of our cross-company marketing activities to our brand guidelines
- Defining and managing the press relations budget
- Experience of marketing high-value B2B professional services (versus B2C product sales)
- A background in press relations or journalism, with an existing network of relevant journalists
- An ability to convey complex technical subjects to a variety of audiences, using appropriate style and language – be that a national paper, or to the technical/trade press.
- Experience of managing a PR agency
- The gravitas to represent the company appropriately, even to the most senior journalists
- Excellent writing skills. These skills will make as an authority in the use of English across the range of communication tools that we deploy
- A positive team player with a collaborative approach
- International experience
- Prior experience of working within a professional services technology firm
- A track record of successful high-profile PR campaigns
- Use of Salesforce Client Relationship Management (CRM) and Hubspot (digital marketing tool) tools
- Adept at consolidating varied requirements across a diverse business, to produce a coherent message
- Skilled in measuring PR effectiveness
- Awareness and understanding of modern PR techniques relevant to premium marketing
- Sufficient IT literacy to provide affinity with the digital tools and trends used within the function
- Excellent analytical, organisational, communication and presentation skills, with an ability to prioritise, plan and execute at pace
- A professional marketing qualification and degree relevant to this role
- An aptitude to identify and exploit trends and news stories that resonate in the press
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employee’s careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.