Are you a skilled IT help desk team leader? Do you get a buzz out of helping others? Why not come and manage our IT help desk team?
We are one of Cambridge’s most successful and fastest growing technology companies. We offer a friendly, modern working environment with over 500 colleagues and a £multi-million IT investment programme.
Main purpose of the job
To lead the IT help desk team, providing high quality support to more than 550 users in the UK and abroad.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The help desk team is part of IT Services, which comprises around 25 staff world-wide. The breadth of capability reflects the wide range of activities of the company, which spans from consumer electronics to robotics, medical devices, satellite communications, synthetic biology and more.
We operate a hybrid cloud and on-premises estate of IT systems including IBM Notes, Windows, Office, Mac, Android and iOS systems. Our design tools range from computational fluid dynamics to RF modelling to CAD to chip design and beyond.
The role comprises a combination of management and hands-on user support, as follows:
- Provide line management of the help desk team
- Be responsible for the management and distribution of help desk calls
- Ensure that help desk calls are owned and brought to a conclusion
- Be responsible for continually reviewing and improving the help desk service
- Ensure the help desk team is trained on new systems
- Develop and guide the performance of the help desk team
- Be responsible for meeting internal service level agreements
- Continually improve standard operating procedures, ensure that they are documented and followed by all help desk team members
- Be responsible for training new help desk team members
- Capture and provide visibility of trends that are evident from call incidents
- Ensure the knowledge management process is consistent to support the transfer of knowledge between team members
- Create and maintain documentation to provide visibility of service level metrics
- Maintain a high standard of customer service
- Answer support calls and assist users with routine IT issues
- Establish links with technical specialists and suppliers and escalate calls, as necessary
To meet the requirements of the role you will be a successful team leader with strong customer service skills and a technical knowledge of IT.
You will also have:
- Experience in the management and distribution of help desk calls
- Experience in creating and implementing standard operating procedures
- Experience in the review and improvement of a help desk service
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills
- Excellent people management skills
- A willingness to support all areas of the IT services user base as required
- A strong focus on quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well within a small team
- Good organisational skills
- Strong self-motivation
In addition, knowledge and/or experience in the following areas are desirable:
- Experience of implementing a new or replacement help desk system
- HND or a degree in Computer Science or a related subject