Cambridge Consultants houses one of the most advanced medical device development and technology consulting teams in the world. We are a development partner for leading medical device companies, helping multi-nationals and dynamic start-ups tackle the world’s most challenging clinical problems. Our Surgical and Interventional business has grown 200% over the past 5 years, where we develop next-generation implants and advanced surgical systems. We are seeking an experienced, ambitious and enthusiastic professional to help drive continued business growth.
Working as part of Cambridge Consultants’ global Surgical & Interventional Devices business team, you will be the commercial face of our professional services in product development and technology consulting to new and existing clients. Working alongside senior, highly experienced colleagues, you will have access to world class product development teams, technical and scientific resources, and work within a cohesive team culture supportive of your career ambitions. You will be backed by excellent facilities, including our in-house Operating Room, class II biolabs, manufacturing and prototyping facilities and proprietary IP portfolio. You will have the opportunity to engage with multiple technologies, market domains, and organizations, and you will help our global business development team shape the future direction of our business.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in medical devices, a technical heritage and clear commercial acumen. You will need an excellent understanding of the markets and clinical domains in which your clients operate, market drivers and trends, the regulatory environment, and the influence of technology. Your commercial and/or technical track record will include experience in the surgical/implantable devices field combined with experience of consultative roles in a professional services company. The successful applicant will have strong self-motivation, and ambition to work collaboratively with our global business teams, multiple project leaders, systems architects, scientists and technologists in Europe, the US and Asia to ensure successful project delivery.
Type of work
Our Medical Technology business provides exceptional product design and development services from strategy and initial opportunity definition, through needs identification, concept creation and prototype development to transfer to production. Projects often include considerable technical, user and commercial challenge.
The position will be focused on clients in our Surgical and Interventional Products business and typically those clients looking to develop radical new platforms for advanced surgery, active implants (often for CRM and Neuromodulation) and systems supporting surgical navigation, visualization, ophthalmology and other specialties.
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with world class technical and human factors expertise and deep industry experience to form powerful development teams. Our work ranges from complete product developments to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
As a Business Development Consultant, you will work with our senior teams to identify, qualify, and develop new business opportunities with new and existing clients. You will work with world-class product design, development, and technology teams to understanding client’s business needs, determine our fit and offering, and guide our project teams with commercial and domain insight to successfully sell our professional services.
To do this you will be expected to:
· Impressively present and sell Cambridge Consultants’ product design/ services to clients
· Develop and maintain an awareness of emerging needs in the marketplace
· Identify new companies/ leads that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
· Develop, manage and grow new commercial client relationships, usually with senior executives
· Contribute to quotes with project team leaders, with emphasis on providing commercial insight and market knowledge
· Work with our business sector and marketing communications teams to target and deliver thought leadership and marketing activities
· Have the ability to help with recruitment of technical teams/ consultants
· Identify and contribute to follow-on opportunities with existing clients
· Meaningfully contribute to group sales targets
· Support sales/ marketing activities (e.g. attend conferences / seminars)
You will interact with teams across the broad technical base of Cambridge Consultants which includes:
· Mechanical engineering
· Product design
· Software (inc safety critical software)
· VOC, human factors & industrial design
· Wireless systems and sensors
· Regulatory affairs
Where appropriate, you will also use your strong commercial skills, clinical insight, and technical background to make a significant contribution to the overall direction and delivered quality of development projects, often working on more than one concurrently.
This position will be based in either our Cambridge, UK head office or Boston, MA , however the successful applicant will need to support our clients and business on a global basis spanning the North American, European and Asian markets. The applicant should expect regular domestic and international travel.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be able to provide the following:
· An understanding and passion for the surgical marketplace, players, products and clinical context
· Experience of successfully working in a consulting or similar environment
· Proven success in developing senior relationships in the Surgical or broader Medical Products sector
· A track record in developing and maintaining long term partnership relationships with key target accounts
· Experience in design and development of medical products, the regulatory environment and/or relevant consulting services
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
· Both a technical and commercial mindset with at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or in the physical sciences