This is an opportunity to drive a strategic portion of Cambridge Consultants’ business in Asia.
You will have responsibility for building a substantial professional fee-for-service, design and development business in the region focused on Industrial and Energy market sectors.
You will represent the world-class design and technology capabilities provided by Cambridge Consultants. This is a relationship-based role that will also require an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for product development and state of the art technology, helping our clients bring innovative new products and systems to market quickly.
We are seeking an experienced, business development professional who has the breadth and depth of technical and business knowledge to successfully represent Cambridge Consultants business in Asia (mainly Singapore, Japan, Korea and Australia).
The role requires account management for our clients in Asia. You will need to demonstrate team leadership within a multi-disciplinary environment, good technical understanding and a close working relationship with members of the team working globally to deliver transformative technology for our clients.
Main purpose of the job
You will take a leading role within our Asian business team, focused on the Industrial and Energy sectors. You will close significant personal sales, define marketing strategy, initiate and develop new clients, manage key clients and negotiate contracts. As well as the market facing aspect of the role, you will take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful innovative projects to our clients and be working alongside world class project managers and technical leads.
Our work in this sector includes:
- Development of cutting edge solutions for sensing and control, instrumentation and manufacturing equipment
- Robotics and automation equipment
- Hardware and software design on large-scale multidisciplinary projects, up to and including some of the most complex engineering challenges ever undertaken
- Consulting on technology-focused business areas
You will be working with world class technical experts across a wide range of technical areas from sensors and control, robotics, signal processing, digital services, and wireless technology. You will be expected to bring your own personal experience and skills to shape and drive forward this part of the business.
Type of work undertaken by the campaign
Cambridge Consultants globally undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology projects every year. In Asia the Industrial and Energy team focuses on the following market sectors:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing, agriculture and retail clients
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
You will be responsible for business development in key markets for Cambridge Consultants in Asia (mainly Singapore, Japan, Korea and Australia, but possibly including other countries in SE Asia) in the Industrial & Energy sector, working alongside other business development, project management and technical staff. Key responsibilities include:
- Identify companies that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
- Communicate and build awareness of Cambridge Consultants’ capabilities to potential clients
- Identify sales opportunities, work with and guide our technical teams to maximize sales conversion
- Work closely with the Global Campaign Manager (based in UK) and the Regional General Manager (based in Singapore) to identify and prioritise opportunities
- Personally close substantial sales
- Develop strong commercial relationships with senior executives in client and potential client companies to enable further sales opportunities
- Actively utilize market information to guide the technical team, inform strategy, and internal investments
- Liaise with the team and recommend marketing activities in your specific area – this includes PR, social media, and events
- Interact with teams across the diverse market and technical areas, especially with our UK-based HQ
- Understand the importance of customer insight and the impact that has on technical solutions
- Build long term relationships with clients, and perform account management activitiesYour background skills will help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of development projects and to have in-depth conversations with clients. You will be working across multiple new client relationships, existing projects, and marketing activities concurrently.
This position will be based in our Singapore office, reporting to the Regional General Manager (Asia); however there will be regular international travel.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be able to provide the following:
- Successful track-record of developing business and senior account relationships in Asia ideally for Western companies
- Experience of complex, high-value, technical sales / business development
- In-depth market knowledge in one or more of Cambridge Consultants’ I&E market areas
- Experience of taking products through the full development cycle is highly desirable
- Experience of successfully working in a professional services environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Self-starting nature given that extensive work will be undertaken solo
- Excellent analytical, oral/written communication skills in English, problem resolution, and decision making skills
- A passion for creating technical innovation in the Industrial & Energy sector.
- Both a technical and commercial mindset with at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or in the physical sciences
- A strong team working approach, and the ability to interact
- Ideally you will have language skills in at least one relevant Asian language.