Cambridge Consultants is one of the world’s leading product development companies, with a reputation for cutting-edge design, development and value creation for an international client base. Our business in the Industrial & Energy markets is growing and we are seeking to complement our team with an experienced Business Developer to help our clients bring new products to market quickly and to give them a competitive edge through innovation.
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in business development in the Industrial & Energy sectors, also with experience in innovation, design and transferring products to manufacturing.
The role requires leadership within a multidisciplinary environment and a close working relationship with other members of the team.
Main purpose of the job
As a Business Developer in the Industrial & Energy Team within the Products and Systems Division, you will take a leading role in our activities in this market. You will be responsible for significant personal sales, marketing strategy, client initiation and development, key client management and contract negotiation.
Our work in this sector includes:
- Development of cutting edge solutions for sensing and control, instrumentation and manufacturing equipment
- Robotics and automation equipment
- Hardware and software design on large-scale multidisciplinary projects, up to and including some of the most complex engineering challenges ever undertaken
- Consulting on technology-focussed business areasYou will be encouraged to seek new business opportunities through your industry contacts and to identify and manage internal investments to create valuable new IP which may lead to new client work or even the chance to participate in a spin-out venture. The successful applicant will therefore be a talented and ambitious individual with a desire to lead and to form new business.
- Working alongside world class project managers and technical leads, you will also take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful projects to our clients.
Type of work undertaken by division
The Products & Systems Division specialises in the development of innovative products and systems from concept through to prototype manufacture to transfer to production for both blue chips and ambitious startups. The projects often incorporate considerable technical challenge and we combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful innovation and development team. The Division has an exciting diverse range of work and undertakes development projects in three market sectors, as well as Industrial & Energy:
- Defence & Security – government and commercial
- Consumer – personal care products, health & wellness, consumer electronics
- Oil & Gas – sensor and systems engineering for energy production
In addition the job involves close cooperation with other divisions with world class skills in areas such as wireless electronics and software, healthcare systems and innovation management.
You will take responsibility for all aspects of business development in the Industrial & Energy sectors, working alongside other business development, project management and technical staff.
- Identify companies that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
- Identify sales opportunities, work with and guide our technical teams to maximise sales conversion
- Understand client business and technical needs and communicate these clearly to the team
- Personally close substantial sales
- Develop strong commercial relationships with senior executives in client and potential client companies to enable further sales opportunities
- Actively utilise market information to guide the technical team, inform strategy, and internal investments
- Lead marketing activities in your specific area – includes PR, social media, and events
- Interact with teams across the diverse market and technical base of the divisionYou will also use your strong technical skills to help communicate what Cambridge Consultants can deliver to potential clients. Your technical skills will also help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of development projects, often working on more than one concurrently.Whilst this position is based in Cambridge, UK, there will be international travel.
Having a strong technical education including a good degree, you will also have experience in R&D, design or manufacturing.
You will have already been successful in a business development, innovation management or an NPI role creating breakthrough products and bringing them to market.
You will be keen to take this experience and apply it to a wider range of companies in this emerging space, creating breakthrough products and services with the support of an outstanding technical team.
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees’ careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.