Job Reference: CAM-SPM-0026
Closing date: 2017-09-30
About the role
This position will be responsible for ensuring worldwide compliance with international trade and product regulations.
The Trade Compliance Manager will liaise with key stakeholders across 11 different sites within the Commercial Operations, Manufacturing, R&D and Logistics functions to ensure compliant and timely delivery of products to customers, distributors and production facilities. The main function of this role is overseeing Group customs activities of the group as well as developing and driving Group Trade Compliance strategy.
Roles and responsibilities
- Managing a team of Trade Compliance professionals based in Cambridge, UK, and Hangzhou, China
- Supporting commercial and operational strategies by facilitating import and export for products globally, including managing the need for export and import licenses
- Responsible for the accurate filing of import and export declarations for all Abcam entities and non-resident importer schemes
- Responsible for the implementation and delivery of the Oracle Global Trade Management module
- Responsibility for relationships with customs agents in all relevant jurisdictions
- Ensuring the correct application of customs legislation in terms of valuation, tariff classification and country of origin (preferential and non-preferential) across all sites
- Managing support for commercial operations projects with advice on country regulations by advising whether licenses are required or products are restricted for importation
- Ensuring trade and product compliance due diligence for new product launches and acquisitions
- Developing and maintaining trade and product compliance policies and procedures
- Developing and delivering trade compliance training for non-Trade Compliance members of staff across the group
- Managing the maintenance of Abcam’s AEO approval, working on equivalent programmes across the US, China and Japan
- Managing work on providing compliant Safety Datasheets (SDS) across global jurisdictions
You have at least four years of experience in a managerial trade compliance role in industry or consultancy, ideally within an AEO certified organization. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a proven track of working successfully across different cultures. A background working with ERP software such as Oracle Global Trade Management would be highly beneficial.
- Four years in a Trade Compliance role
- Solid understanding of tariff classification, customs valuation and origin determination (preferential and non-preferential)
- Certificate of Customs Compliance or equivalent, e.g. Institute of Export, CILT
- Previous managerial experience
- Experience meeting tight deadlines, prioritizing tasks and multi-tasking to achieve results
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and present findings and recommendations
- Proven ability to build effective relationships across all levels and functions in an organization
- Ability to creatively solve challenging problems
- A solid understanding of international trade regulations in the biological or chemical industry
- Previous experience with Export
- Previous exposure to Denied Parties Screening
- Experience with management of product compliance regulations such as REACH, CLP and BPR
- Experience using global trade management systems
- Experience applying for/maintaining AEO status within a medium-large organization
- Affiliation to International Trade Organization
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.